Wednesday, April 29, 2009

I hope everyone's first blog sucks...

Because this one certainly might. I have been browsing the rank-and-file of noteworthy blogs. Let me tell you something. They are all noteworthy, to be sure, and I find myself wondering how they got that way. Honestly, this first-post-thing is painful. 

The basic list of elements for the average, spectacular post is as follows:
  • A picture; sometimes with a good, old-fashioned caption;
   Once upon a time there was a princess who got married, pregnant and had stretch marks like everyone else.
  • A poem. I don't know many, but I love them. Here an insightful favorite;
Nature's first green is gold,
Her hardest hue to hold.
Her early leaf's a flower;
But only so an hour.
Then leaf subsides to leaf.
So Eden sank to grief,
So dawn goes down to day.
Nothing gold can stay.
-Robert Frost
  • Some include a short anecdote, some a writhing masterpiece about their least favorite tooth paste. I don't know how I'll fare in this section. I might end up sticking with the pictures, quotes and poems. My most recent titillating narrative was that an alum of my college told my class to quit the journalism major and industry all together if we want to have job security, food and a roof over our heads. I think she said the word "depressing" at least 12 times in her rant. 
  • Other blogs get creative and lucrative with gadgets and adds. But hey, if you follow me, I'll follow you. Kind of a "you-scratch-my-back" approach. On the plus side, journalism is a conversation, and what I am passionate about. So let's talk. 

No comments: